“The most literary composition in the New Testament.”
“Peter penned the most sublime language of any of the apostles” Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Examples of “sublime language” in the first two chapters:
• 1 Peter 1:3 “God…hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ….”
• 1 Peter 1:8 “Jesus Christ, whom having seen not, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory…”
• 1 Peter 1:13 “Wherefore, gird up the loins of your mind…”
• 1 Peter 1:24-25 “For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever.”
• 1 Peter 2:2,3 “…desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: if so be, ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious…”
• 1 Peter 2:4,5 “[Christ is] a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious. Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house….”
• 1 Peter 2:8 [Christ is] a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, to them which stumble at the word….”
1 Peter tells us what Christ has done.
• 1 Peter 2:24 Christ “his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripe ye were healed.”
• 1 Peter 3:18 “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit.”
• 1 Peter 1:3 We are “…begotten …unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
• 1 Peter 1:19 We are redeemed “…with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:”
• 1 Peter 2:9 Christ “…hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:”
1 Peter tells us who we are
• 1 Peter 1:2 You are “…elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ.”
• 1 Peter 1:10 Regarding you, “…prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you….”
• 1 Peter 13, 15 You “… are partakers of Christ’s sufferings…. If [you] suffer as a Christian,…be not ashamed; but …glorify God on this behalf.”
• 1 Peter 2:9 You… “are a chosen generation, (partakers in) a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar (purchased) people…”
1 Peter tells us what to do.
• 1 Peter 4:7“…watch unto prayer….”
• 1 Peter 2:2 “…as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word.…”
• 1 Peter 3:4 Adorn yourselves with…“the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit….”
• 1 Peter 5:2-3 “Feed the flock of God…willingly of a ready mind…being ensamples to the flock.”
• 1 Peter 3:8 “…be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful (tenderhearted), be courteous…”
• 1 Peter 4:7-9 “…have fervent charity among yourselves….Use hospitality one to another without grudging.”
• 1 Peter 2:9 “…show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.”
• 1 Peter 3:15 “…be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you…”
1 Peter tells us how to deal with adversity.
• 1 Peter 2:21 “…Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:”
• 1 Peter 2:2 “Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not…”
• 1 Peter 3: “…not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing…”
• 1 Peter 2:12 “… they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God….”
• 1 Peter 2:15 “… with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.
• 1 Peter 1:6-7 “…now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations (trials, afflictions): The trial of your faith, [is] more precious than gold….”
• As You Like It, act 2 “Sweet are the uses of adversity, which like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head…”
• 1Peter 5:10-11 “…the God of all grace…, after that ye have suffered a while…, [will] strengthen, [and] settle you.”
• Alma 7:12 “And… he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
• 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast…all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”
Elder Russell M. Ballard
“My message to you today, my brothers and sisters, is simply this: the Lord is in control. He knows the end from the beginning. He has given us adequate instruction that, if followed, will see us safely through any crisis.
His purposes will be fulfilled, and someday we will understand the eternal reasons for all of these events. Therefore, today we must be careful to not overreact…, but what we must do is keep the commandments of God and never lose hope!”